Tax Alerts
April 11, 2021
Tax Briefing(s)

Life insurance benefits can help loved ones after your death. But you may want to keep proceeds from a policy out of your taxable estate. Here are some considerations.


Child care is expensive. The newly enhanced child and dependent care credit may help for 2021


You’ve probably heard about the new law that provides direct payments to eligible individuals. But what does the law provide to businesses?


Are you eligible to receive direct payments under the new law that passed on March 11?


The Work Opportunity Tax credit was set to expire on Dec. 31, 2020. But a law passed late last year extends it through Dec. 31, 2025. Here’s how employers can benefit if they’re hiring.


Saving for retirement can help make your future brighter. Recent tax law changes might allow you to save more with your IRA or retirement plan.


How much do your employees have to earn in 2021 before they can stop paying Social Security tax? How much can they contribute to 401(k) plans this year? Here are the answers to these and other questions about tax-related inflation adjustments and changes affecting businesses.


Saving now for retirement is one of the best moves you can make to help ensure financial security. If you’re eligible, you still have time to contribute to an IRA or SEP and save on your 2020 tax return.


How much can you contribute to an IRA for 2021? How much is the standard deduction? Here are some Q&As about these and other tax-related amounts for 2021.


The price of gas is down from a year ago. How does this affect the amount your business can deduct for business driving in 2021?


Filing your tax return early will get you any refund early and may protect you from tax identity theft. Here’s why.


Businesses received several favorable tax breaks in the COVID-19 relief bill that was recently signed into law. Here are just two of them.


Businesses face a variety of tax-related deadlines in the first quarter of 2021. Here are some of them.


The fourth estimated tax payment deadline for 2020 is coming up. Here are the details of when it is and whether you’re required to make a payment.


As we wind down 2020, be aware that December 31 is an important date when it comes to filing your tax return. Whether you’re married or unmarried on that date will affect how you file. Check out the 5 federal tax filing statuses and who can claim them.


If you become disabled and are fortunate enough to receive disability income, you may have to pay federal tax on it. Here are the basic rules.


There are a number of tax obligations that must be met when a business closes its doors. Sadly, because of COVID-19, many businesses are facing this reality. Here are the basic requirements.


Employees pay Social Security tax on their wages up to the current tax year’s “wage base.” The Social Security Administration just announced the base amount for 2021.


Entrepreneurs: Don’t ignore saving for retirement. Here are the basics of tax-favored plans to help build your nest egg.


Did you file an extension until Oct. 15 to file your 2019 tax return? After finishing, you may find yourself with piles of tax-related documents. You might not want to toss them out for fear of trashing something important. Here are some tax recordkeeping guidelines.


Are you an investor or a trader? While trader status is difficult to achieve, if a taxpayer qualifies, he or she can deduct investment-related expenses.


Have you lost your job and collecting unemployment? Or are you fortunate to be working from home because of the pandemic? Both of these situations could have tax implications.


Back to school in the COVID-19 era may mean remote learning for your college student. But parents may be able to take advantage of one of these tax breaks for their education expenses.


Tax liabilities don’t go away if left unaddressed. Here’s a look at what happens in the event you (or someone you know) can’t pay taxes on time.


Do you have a nanny, housekeeper or other household worker? If you pay him or her cash wages of $2,200 in 2020, you must withhold and pay Social Security and Medicare taxes. Learn about this and other tax obligations for household workers.


Employer-provided group term life insurance can be a nice employee benefit. But depending on the amount of coverage, it may cause an unwanted tax result. Here’s why.


If you have medical expenses and you pay Medicare premiums, you know it can be expensive to get the coverage you want. But if you qualify, you can deduct the cost of premiums, along with other medical expenses, on your tax return. Here are the rules


The CARES Act has provided some help for people with student loans. And if you do make some payments this year, you may be able to deduct the interest on your tax return. Here are the rules.


A big tax bill or a large refund may mean you don’t have the correct amount of tax withheld from your paycheck. Here’s how to avoid this next year.


If you’re married and you don’t work outside the home, you still may be able to contribute to an IRA. Here are the rules for spousal IRAs.


Once your 2019 tax return has been filed, there still may be some issues to consider. We’re often asked about refund status, record retention and amended tax returns. Here are some answers.


If you need money due to COVID-19, you may be able to take a tax-free “coronavirus-related distribution” from a retirement plan. The IRS has released guidance explaining who qualifies for one of these distributions.


Another coronavirus (COVID-19) law has been enacted and it provides some relief to businesses and employers that are suffering. This article provides some highlights.



Be an early-bird tax return filer this year. It may protect you from tax identity theft. Here’s why.

If you’re married and file a joint return, what happens if your spouse doesn’t disclose all of his or her income or otherwise doesn’t pay the correct tax owed? You’re generally liable for the full amount but there may be “innocent spouse” relief.

When a married couple files a joint tax return, each spouse is liable for the full amount of tax on the couple’s combined income. Therefore, the IRS can come after either spouse to collect the entire tax, not just the part that’s attributed to that spouse. This includes any tax deficiency that the IRS assesses after an audit, as well as any penalties and interest. In some cases, spouses are eligible for “innocent spouse relief.” Generally, these spouses were unaware of a tax understatement that was attributable to the other spouse. If you’re interested in trying to obtain relief, paperwork must be filed and deadlines must be met. Contact us. We can assist you with the details.

If you’re married and file a joint return, what happens if your spouse doesn’t disclose all of his or her income or otherwise doesn’t pay the correct tax owed? You’re generally liable for the full amount but there may be “innocent spouse” relief.

When a married couple files a joint tax return, each spouse is liable for the full amount of tax on the couple’s combined income. Therefore, the IRS can come after either spouse to collect the entire tax, not just the part that’s attributed to that spouse. This includes any tax deficiency that the IRS assesses after an audit, as well as any penalties and interest. In some cases, spouses are eligible for “innocent spouse relief.” Generally, these spouses were unaware of a tax understatement that was attributable to the other spouse. If you’re interested in trying to obtain relief, paperwork must be filed and deadlines must be met. Contact us. We can assist you with the details.

Prudently planning how to take money out of your traditional IRA can mean more money for you and your heirs. Here are three areas to understand in order to maximize your retirement savings.

f you’re like many people, you’ve worked hard to accumulate a large nest egg in your traditional IRA (or a SEP-IRA). It’s critical to carefully plan for withdrawals. For example, if you need to take money out of your traditional IRA before age 59-1/2, the distribution will generally be taxable. In addition, distributions before age 59-1/2 may be subject to a 10% penalty tax. (However, several exceptions may allow you to avoid the penalty tax but not the regular income tax.) And once you reach age 70-1/2, distributions from a traditional IRA must begin. If you don’t withdraw the minimum amount each year, you may have to pay a 50% penalty tax on what should have been taken but wasn’t.

If you’re fortunate enough to hit a sizable jackpot in the lottery or while gambling, there are tax implications. Here’s a rundown of the basics.

If you’re lucky enough to be a winner at gambling or the lottery, congratulations! But be aware there are tax consequences. You must report 100% of your winnings as taxable income. If you itemize deductions, you can deduct losses but only up to the amount of winnings. You report lottery winnings as income in the year you actually receive them. In the case of noncash prizes (such as a car), this would be the year the prize is received. With cash, if you take the winnings in annual installments, you only report each year’s installment as income for that year. These are just the basic rules. Contact us with questions. We can help you minimize taxes and stay in compliance with all requirements.

If you meet certain requirements, you may be eligible for a tax break on summer day camp expenses you pay for your child. Here is a rundown of the rules.

Now that most schools are out for the summer, you might be sending your children to day camp. The good news: You might be eligible for a tax break for the cost. Day camp is a qualified expense under the child and dependent care credit, which is worth 20% to 35% of qualifying expenses, up to a maximum of $3,000 for one qualifying child and $6,000 for two or more. Note: Sleep-away camp doesn’t qualify. Eligible costs for care must be employment-related. In other words, they must enable you to work or look for work if you’re unemployed. Additional rules apply. Contact us if you have questions about your eligibility for this credit and other tax breaks for parents.

Are you still working after age 70½ and don’t want to take required minimum distributions from your 401(k) account? You might not have to. Here are the details.

If you participate in a qualified retirement plan, such as a 401(k), you must generally begin taking required minimum distributions (RMDs) no later than April 1 of the year after which you turn age 70½. The penalty for withdrawing less than the RMD is 50% of the portion that should have been withdrawn but wasn’t. However, there’s an exception that may apply to certain people if they’re still working for the entire year in which they turn 70½. The RMD rules are complex. Contact us to customize a plan based on your individual retirement and estate planning goals.

Are you interested in joining the growing ranks of plug-in electric vehicle owners? Find out about the federal income tax credit you might be able to claim.

If you’re interested in purchasing an electric or hybrid vehicle, you may be eligible for a federal tax credit of up to $7,500. (Depending on where you live, there may also be state tax breaks.) However, the federal credit is subject to a phaseout rule that may reduce or eliminate the tax break based on how many sales are made by a manufacturer. The vehicles of 2 manufacturers (GM and Tesla) have already begun to be phased out, which means they now qualify for a partial tax credit. For a list of manufacturers and credit amounts, visit: 

The rules for deducting personal casualty losses on a tax return have changed for 2018 to 2025. Specifically, you generally can’t deduct losses unless the casualty event qualifies as a federally declared disaster.

The rules for writing off personal casualty losses on a tax return have changed for 2018 to 2025. Specifically, taxpayers generally can’t deduct losses unless the casualty event qualifies as a federally declared disaster. (The rules for business or income-producing property are different.) Another factor that now makes it harder to claim a casualty loss is that you must itemize deductions to claim one. For 2018 to 2025, fewer people will itemize, because the standard deduction amounts have been significantly increased. We can help you navigate the complex rules.

In a tax identity theft scheme, a thief uses your personal information to file a fraudulent tax return electronically early in the tax filing season and claim a bogus refund. Here’s how to protect yourself. 

The IRS opened the 2018 income tax return filing season on Jan. 28. Consider filing as soon as you can, even if you typically don’t file this early. It can help protect you from tax identity theft, in which a thief files a return using your Social Security number to claim a bogus refund. If you file first, it will be returns filed by any would-be thieves that are rejected by the IRS, not yours. Other benefits: You’ll get your refund sooner or, if you owe tax, you’ll know how much you owe sooner so you can be ready to pay it by April 15. Contact us with questions.

There are three major changes that will impact many individual taxpayers, beginning when they file their 2018 income tax returns. And we’re not talking about tax rate cuts or reduced itemized deductions. 

When you file your 2018 income tax return, you’ll likely find that some big tax law changes affect you, besides the much-discussed tax rate cuts and reduced itemize deductions. For 2018 through 2025, the TCJA: 1) eliminates personal exemptions, 2) increases the standard deduction and 3) expands the child credit. The degree to which these changes will affect you depends on whether you have dependents and, if so, how many. It also depends on whether you typically itemize deductions. We can help ensure you claim all of the breaks available to you on your 2018 return.

Don’t take the substantiation requirements for charitable donation deductions lightly. If you made a gift last year and haven’t received a written acknowledgment from the charity, read this before claiming a deduction on your 2018 income tax return. 

To claim an itemized deduction for a donation of more than $250, generally you need a contemporaneous written acknowledgment from the charity. “Contemporaneous” means the earlier of 1) the date you file your income tax return, or 2) the extended due date of your return. If you made a donation in 2018 but haven’t received substantiation and you’d like to deduct it, consider requesting a written acknowledgment from the charity and waiting to file your 2018 return until you receive it. Additional rules apply to certain types of donations. Contact us to learn more. 

Not as many people will benefit from the charitable deduction on their 2018 income tax returns. Find out why donations may no longer save you tax and what you can do to help ensure deductibility.

Assuming a charity is qualified, you may be able to deduct some of the out-of-pocket costs you incur when volunteering for the organization. But the rules are complex.


Have you noticed in your mailbox any notifications from online vendors from whom you purchased items during 2017 reporting your total purchases from them during the year and wondered why? This is because they did not charge you sales tax on your online purchases. And now the State of Louisiana is requiring these vendors to report to them and to you the purchase amounts so the State can ultimately collect the sales tax (actually termed “use tax” at this point in the transaction).

On December 20, Congress completed passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. The new law means substantial changes for individual taxpayers. For example, it reduces tax rates for most brackets, nearly doubles the standard deduction and expands the child tax credit. And it provides alternative minimum tax (AMT) and estate tax relief. But it also reduces or eliminates many tax breaks. Most changes affecting individuals are only temporary, generally applying for 2018 through 2025.


We have compiled a checklist of additional actions based on current tax rules that may help you save tax dollars if you act before year-end. Not all actions will apply in your particular situation, but you (or a family member) will likely benefit from many of them. We can narrow down the specific actions that you can take once we meet with you to tailor a particular plan. In the meantime, please review the following list and contact us at your earliest convenience so that we can advise you on which tax-saving moves to make:

Projecting your business income and expenses for this year and next can allow you to time when you recognize income and incur deductible expenses to your tax advantage. Typically, it’s better to defer tax. This might end up being especially true this year, if tax reform legislation is signed into law.


Did you know that if you’re self-employed you may be able to set up a retirement plan that allows you to contribute much more than you can contribute to an IRA or even an employer-sponsored 401(k)? There’s still time to set up such a plan for 2017, and it generally isn’t hard to do. So whether you’re a “full-time” independent contractor or you’re employed but earn some self-employment income on the side, consider setting up one of the following types of retirement plans this year.  


With kids back in school, it’s a good time for parents (and grandparents) to think about college funding. One option is a Section 529 plan. It offers the opportunity to build up a large college nest egg via tax-deferred compounding and can be particularly powerful if contributions begin when the child is quite young. Contributions aren’t deductible for federal purposes, but distributions used to pay qualified expenses are typically income-tax-free for both federal and state purposes, thus making the tax deferral a permanent savings.


An estate tax repeal is one reform that’s been proposed by Congress, but a repeal may not affect you. Here’s why.

Elementary and secondary school teachers and other eligible educators can deduct up to $250 for qualifying classroom supplies they pay for out of pocket. This is an “above-the-line” deduction, which means you don’t have to itemize. Before this special break became available, such expenditures could be deducted only as unreimbursed business expenses under the miscellaneous itemized deduction, subject to a 2% of adjusted gross income (AGI) floor, which could be a difficult threshold to meet.


If you own a home, be sure to claim all the home-related tax breaks you’re entitled to. But be aware that a couple expired at the end of 2016, and others might disappear in the future as part of tax reform.


If you don’t have “minimum essential” health coverage, beware of potential tax penalties.

The American Opportunity credit can provide valuable tax savings for families with a college student. But sometimes it makes sense for the student, rather than the parent, to claim the credit.

Do you know what individual income tax records are safe to toss? If not and you’d like to clear out your files (whether paper or electronic) of unnecessary documents, here are some guidelines.

The IRS and the Treasury Department have automatically extended the federal income tax filing due date for individuals for the 2020 tax year, from April 15, 2021, to May 17, 2021. Individual taxpayers can also postpone federal income tax payments for the 2020 tax year due on April 15, 2021, to May 17, 2021, without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount owed.

On March 11, 2021, President Biden signed the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. Some of the tax-related provisions include the following:

The IRS needs to issue new rules and guidance to implement the American Rescue Plan, experts said on March 11 as President Joe Biden signed his COVID-19 relief measure.

Strengthening tax breaks to promote manufacturing received strong bipartisan support at a Senate Finance Committee hearing on March 16.

IRS Commissioner Charles "Chuck" Rettig told Congress on February 23 that the backlog of 20 million unopened pieces of mail is gone.

The Tax Court ruled that rewards dollars that a married couple acquired for using their American Express credit cards to purchase debit cards and money orders—but not to purchase gift cards—were included in the taxpayers’ income. The court stated that its holdings were based on the unique circumstances of the case.

The IRS Office of Chief Counsel has embarked on its most far-reaching Settlement Days program by declaring the month of March 2021 as National Settlement Month. This program builds upon the success achieved from last year's many settlement day events while being shifted to virtual format due to the pandemic. Virtual Settlement Day (VSD) events will be conducted across the country and will serve taxpayers in all 50 states and the District of Colombia.

An individual who owned a limited liability company (LLC) with her former spouse was not entitled to relief from joint and several liability under Code Sec. 6015(b). The taxpayer argued that she did not know or have reason to know of the understated tax when she signed and filed the joint return for the tax year at issue. Further, she claimed to be an unsophisticated taxpayer who could not have understood the extent to which receipts, expenses, depreciation, capital items, earnings and profits, deemed or actual dividend distributions, and the proper treatment of the LLC resulted in tax deficiencies. The taxpayer also asserted that she did not meaningfully participate in the functioning of the LLC other than to provide some bookkeeping and office work.

A married couple’s civil fraud penalty was not timely approved by the supervisor of an IRS Revenue Agent (RA) as required under Code Sec. 6751(b)(1). The taxpayers’ joint return was examined by the IRS, after which the RA had sent them a summons requiring their attendance at an in-person closing conference. The RA provided the taxpayers with a completed, signed Form 4549, Income Tax Examination Changes, reflecting a Code Sec. 6663(a) civil fraud penalty. The taxpayers declined to consent to the assessment of the civil fraud penalty or sign Form 872, Consent to Extend the Time to Assess Tax, to extend the limitations period.